Sunday 9 October 2016

The Aftermath of Quitting Google & the First Exciting Business Step !!


Dear Diary,

Last I wrote to you, I was reeling in the excitement of a new beginning! And I think I'm still reeling. The reeling has brought some good things, and some better, and I must say I'm loving the journey so far. My first month without a paycheque has passed, and I've been extremely conscious of the fact that every time my bank balance dips after a swipe, there is no bouncing back every 28th of the month. But all that's really changed at this point is that I buy lesser branded clothes, luckily I've more than compensated with street shopping in Bombay. Colaba causeway - you've been very kind.

Ever since I quit, everyone has religiously asked me one question even before enquiring after my well being - How does it feel quitting Google? And my honest answer to that has been - Not bad at all.

For the first time that I went back home in four years, I spent quality time with my family away from my phone and laptop. I cooked a shabby meal for them which they pretended to love, I looked through all the family photo albums and found some rather embarrassing pictures of myself amidst innumerable fond memories. I asked my mother about her past and she told me all about it - her childhood, her friends and the one she finally married. I read the letters she exchanged with my father a few months before they got married, and she told me all about the beauty and hardships of marriage. I told her about blogs, youtube, recipes, my plans and saw her face beam like that of a little child's. I saw my brother in love for the first time, juggling between work and his new bride giving me some pearls of marriage-wisdom that he never did before. Safe to say, I had a wonderful time getting to know my family some more.

Letters exchanged by my parents the July of 1987.

Don't you think we always forget about these little things in the hullabaloo that life is? We overlook the things that make us unique, that get us closer to our roots, the things that put a smile on our faces, the things that put a smile on our parents face, the things that make our families so special and sometimes - extremely weird. But bottom of it all, we fail to recognise the undying love there is for each other through the true definition of thick and thin.

I came back after a few days of social detox and found myself sick. While I thought I was just home-sick turns out some mosquitoes caught me for a kiss of mild dengue. A few days into recovery I got my first ever order!! - Yes, MY FIRST ORDER!! It happened oh-so randomly. My best friend tagged me on a post where someone was looking for cakes to celebrate the first birthday of a furry baby named "Adele" - before your mind goes wild with imagination, yes - it was for a puppy.

If you have a picky dog like my little one, or if you are an obsessive pet-mom like me who likes to celebrate her four-legged one's birthday every few months - you'll have to learn to bake. I got cracking immediately and tried a few samples on my own little tough client. She walked away from a few as if they were made of stones, and salivated profusely at some. When I finally got it right - she was kind enough to act cool and let me take a few snaps before devouring it!

I said 'stay'. She thought it was cruel but obliged!

She did not like the little dog staring at her.

Dog cakes are special - the dogs either like it, or hate it. There is no middle ground, and there is no room for error and there sure is no sugar coating the 'feedback'. If they love it, their greedy eyes will say it all and there is no mistaking it. And I was delighted to hear that the cakes were all gone by the end of it! :) Honestly, the best clients one could have asked for as the first order! :D


The note for the pet parents that I sent with the order :D
For the birthday girl - Adele - Turning 1 is always special!

For the birthday girl's brother Lyka - Just because - cake day! :D 

Here are some pictures of the celebration! Since the cake was human friendly - our pet parent also had a few nibbles off the cake and enjoyed it! :D What a cute family!

    



        



I am delighted to have taken a baby step to my dream. Needless to say, there were moments of panic, self-doubt and distrust in my ability to pull this off, but then there is the reward - of making a moment special for someone, and that's the kick I get from my job that makes everything worth it all!

To many more doggie and human cakes and to many more stories and events. Good night diary. Sweet peanut-butter dreams to you.

Lots of Love,
Signing out..






No comments:

Post a Comment